Chocolate chocolate chip cake is a stunning 3 layer chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting decorated with chocolate chips. Sure to impress guests on any occasion.
I received a complimentary copy of the cookbook Sugar to review. All opinions are my own. The giveaway copy was provided by the author at no charge.
Did you know October is National Cookbook Month? To celebrate we are reviewing a couple of cookbooks, the first being Sugar by Alyx Kjorvan. Before we get to the delicious recipe I made from the book, Chocolate Chocolate Chip cake, a little bit about it’s author.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 3 6-inch cake pans with baking spray with flour and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until fluffy and well combined. Slowly whisk in the hot water.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine took 40 minutes)
- Let cool 10 minutes then carefully remove from the pans. Remove parchment from each layer and allow to cool completely.
- Make the buttercream: In the blow of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine all buttercream ingredients. Start mixing on low and gradually increase the speed as ingredients begin to incorporate. Whip on high until light a fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Find Alyx on her website and social media:
Find the full recipe for another delicious cake on YumGoggle – Chocolate peanut butter Bundt cake with peanut butter glaze.