These delicious German Chocolate Cupcakes are a perfectly portioned serving as well as keto friendly! This soft and tender recipe has a light chocolate flavor. And, the topping is a sugar-free coconut pecan frosting. The aroma of these cupcakes baking is enticing and comforting. Tempting your family into the kitchen for a bite!
These cupcakes have 200 calories and are only 4 net carbs per serving. Also, if your counting net carbs, it comes to only 2! They are a dessert you can feel good about serving your family and friends!
My Mom’s favorite cake has always been German Chocolate. She loved the light chocolate flavor along with the gooey coconut pecan frosting. I have always made her a German Chocolate Bundt Cake for her birthday. However, this year, my parents both decided to join the Keto Diet. As a result, I came up with a low carb, keto friendly version for her upcoming celebration!
I am so excited with how this recipe turned out! I loved how tender the crumb of the cupcake was and the flavor of chocolate came through well. This year I have a full keto meal line up for Mom’s birthday dinner. I plan to make Chicken Parmesan Casserole for our entree and these cupcakes for dessert!
Tips for successful Cupcakes
- Make sure you use super fine ground almond flour. The finer grind on the flour aids in the more tender crumb of the cupcake. If your crumb of the cupcake seems gritty, this can be due to not using super fine flour.
- Always use cupcake liners for keto baking. Because it is such a tender crumb you need that liner to help keep it together while cooling and also, not sticking to your pan.
- Cool your cupcakes completely. Warm keto baked goods tend to fall apart easily. You want it to be completely cooled before consuming. If not, you risk the chance of your cupcake falling apart when removing the liner.
How to make German Chocolate Cupcakes
Time needed: 35 minutes
These cupcakes come together very quickly and easily. Just follow these simple instructions.
- First, you will sift your dry ingredients together. I like to put my flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl or sifter and make sure they are thoroughly combined.
- Secondly, whisk all of your wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Doing so, your egg will be distributed evenly.
- When ready to add the melted German Chocolate, remove about 1 cup of the batter from your mixing bowl and stir it in until well combined. Then add the batter back to your mixing bowl and stir until well combined. As a result, the chocolate will be distributed evenly.
- When scooping the batter for the muffin pan, using a ¼ cup scoop will make it easier.
If you like this recipe for German Chocolate Cupcakes, you may also enjoy these other cake recipes:
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅔ cup Granulated Swerve
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 pieces (14g) unsweetened baking chocolate squares
- For the Frosting
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup granulated swerve
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Syrup for drizzling (optional) (I use ChocZero)
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add almond flour through salt. Using a hand whisk, stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add heavy whipping cream through vanilla extract. Whisk ingredients until well blended and the egg looks uniform (no streaks of yellow or white from the egg).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Remove about 1 cup of batter from mixing bowl and place in smaller mixing bowl.
- Melt Baker's Unsweetened German Chocolate in 30 second intervals, in your microwave, stirring after each interval, until it is melted.
- Stir melted chocolate into reserved 1 cup of batter until the chocolate is well combined in your batter.
- Add chocolate batter to mixing bowl and stir until all batter has chocolate blended in.
- Using a ¼ cup scoop, place batter into individual paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cupcakes are no longer wet on top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a medium sized saucepan add coconut milk, butter, granulated Swerve, and eggs. Whisk until well combined.
- Place saucepan over medium low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla extract. Set aside to cool before frosting cupcakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 19gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g